Tuesday, March 1, 2011

What's In a Name?

Do you ever feel like umm duh why didn't I teach my kid that? That's sorta how I feel about Hudson and writing his name... I mean there are 3 year olds out there who can spell their name.
Now maybe those three year olds only have names with 3 letters... I haven't paid close enough attention due to the fact that I am beating myself up over my own lack of teaching in this area.
Never the less enough with the guilt trip. It's time to remedy the situation.
So I made (err I mean I begged my computer savvy husband to make) this practice sheet.
Then (same said husband who also used to work in a sign shop) laminated it so Hudson can use dry erase pens on it.  So far so good.

Also a dear friend of  mine suggested turning name spelling into a song. (I must appologize to said friend as i poo pooed her idea in a moment of hormonal crankiness). 

So anyone have a great name song out there?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

No song to sing - but it does bring back some memories of my oldest (who's now 12). When he was a toddler/preschooler he REFUSED to hold a pencil and even attempt to draw lines. He hated coloring too. I was concerned about him...but I need not have worried. I didn't know it at the time, but, he's a perfectionist and wouldn't attempt a new skill until he knew in his mind he could master it. (Including potty training....he was a late bloomer, but, once he started, there were no accidents!). Anyway (back to my original story) I stopped trying to get him to write anything....on Valentine's day we were 'writing' out Valentine's cards for the Grandparents. I told him to 'go ahead and sign the cards' thinking that he scribble a doodle or a squiggle. The little man wrote his first, middle and last name. I thought I was going to pass out!! This was the first time he had written ANYTHING!!! My long winded point is that while we do want our kids to excel, they truely blossom when they are ready :-)

Thanks for visiting my blog - I am following you. I love those book worms!

Bethany LaShell said...

What a great idea to have a personalized, laminated board to practise name writing! I love it! Sadly, I don't know any name songs right off the bat. btw, love your blog design too; adorable. Thanks for stopping by my blog & commenting today. Your "be ruthless" tip is excellent & advice I often give. :-)

Share This Idea!